Tuesday 26 April 2011

Of Birthdays & Parties

P is fast approaching 1 and I found myself in a limbo as to how I would celebrate his birthday.

Honestly, I would much prefer the good old fashion house parties. Where mothers cooked and baked cakes for their children. The kids would be running amok high on chocolates, lollies and adrenalin. Us parents would be sitting around enjoying the home cooked fried bihun with curry chicken while yelling out to our kids every so often to share, slow down and/or behave!

I could still do that but unfortunately our home isn't very suitable for kids parties. Imagine a narrow 3 story townhouse, them imagine the kids climbing up the stairs with us parents chasing after!

I am also not very inclined to the Indonesian styled birthday parties where event organizers, decorators, clowns, emcees etc are hired. It just doesn't appeal to our little family, not to mention the crazy amount it would cost us.

Then of course, there's the guest list. Hubby has a huge huge hugeeee family. Relatives from his side would come up to 80!

So, what is the answer? Have not one but two parties!

One organized by us at a play land P frequents. I get to invite his playgroup friends, relatively smallish party, more personal and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Then the next day we will have the whole Indonesian styled party at my in-laws, which also coincides with my sister in laws birthday. This way everyone is happy!

However, the one thing I am sticking to for the two parties. Absolutely NO GIFTS. Those who attend would be asked for cash donations instead, all proceeds will go to the many many needy children in orphanages and those living in slums of Jakarta. It is the least I can do to help and all the money spent on the parties will generate much needed funds for those less fortunate.

I am hoping that I will be able to do this every year. My little pledge to the society each year my son grows older. In future, I hope that this will in turn teach my son the beauty of sharing and giving to the less fortunate. Especially living in a country such as Indonesia where poverty is rife.

Come next year do nip me in the bum should I forget about this pledge!

No comments:

Post a Comment