Wednesday 27 April 2011

Nannies & Maids

Every mother at some point in time would need help, either via family, relatives or hired help. Especially in Asia where hired help comes at an affordable rate. My question is, how far into your life would you allow your hired help to help?

I grew up with a Fillipino maid all my life. They (3 within 19 years) were all educated and chose to work abroad mainly for the higher income. After many years, especially the first maid who was with us for 10 years, she became family. I do wonder where she is now. After she left we did keep in touch via the occasional letters but as years passed the communication dwindled down.

Now that I am back living in Asia, having maids isn't a luxury any longer but a necessity. It also does help that labour in Indonesia is fairly cheap.

When I fell pregnant and up until a couple of weeks ago we only agreed to have maids and no nannies. Reason is simple, with maids doing the washing, cooking and cleaning, hiring a nanny would then defeat the purpose of me being a stay at home mum! I didn't want to be a Mum who looked on from afar, I treasure my time with P and strongly believe the first few years of life creates an unbreakable bond. Not to mention that I am in a lucky position where one income is enough (for now that is).

Fast forward to the present and I now have a nanny. We finally have bowed down to familial pressure since having a nanny/suster is a norm within Indonesian families. Not to mention P is now highly mobile and is extremely attached to me. I personally reckon that he has extreme separation anxiety!

Our nanny/suster hasn't given us any problems so far, just a few minor teething issues. She's actually very helpful, initiative, willing to help clean up the house and catches on really quick. If anything, the problem is me! I don't know how to use a nanny! I'm so used to doing everything on my own it's strange to have someone following me around.

Therefore I ask, how much should I let her help? How much can I trust her?

I see my Indonesian friends with their nannies and it somehow is second nature to them.

I do wonder, how long will it take for me to get used to having a nanny. P definitely isn't used to her yet and is still very wary. Although I do hope that having a nanny would help P with his separation anxiety! My new motto should be, while I still have the chance I should just milk all the help I can get before moving back to Sydney!

1 comment:

  1. I've heard and seen so many stories of SAHM getting frustrated and angry from doing housework, that she ends up taking it out on the children. Its inevitable actually. So having a maid is a must for my sanity. Now just have to work on hubs to get used to the idea of a livein one.

    ReplyDelete